Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Our Strawberry Grandma

In Dad's history he talks about visiting his "Strawberry" Grandma, Annetta.

There is a new database available on-line that includes the Canadian Census records from 1891. I knew we had Canadians so I looked them up. Sure enough, there was Stephenson Stephenson Stephenson's family. His wife Annie is there, her mother Eliza lived with them, and it showed Annetta as a 15 year old daughter, one of seven children. I like census records because they can document the lines we already have...and give glimpses into lives we know so little about. One of the columns on this census record was occupation. Did you know Netta (as she is called in the histories) worked in a Millinery shop? They made ladies' fancy hats. I kept thinking of the scene in "Hello Dolly."

Her father, Stephenson Stephenson Stephenson, (the last name is miss spelled on the record and the middle name is left out) worked as an Iron Molder. Grandpa Oscar Pike talks about visiting Canada in his history and mentions learning about his Grandfather's trade there.

Another delight was to find Eliza, widowed and 74 years old, living with them. Census records are listed by households. It now makes better sense that she would know all about baby Oscar when he visited as related in a letter she wrote.

In the picture Oscar Dalling Pike is the baby, Netta is the mother, Annie is the Grandmother and Eliza is the Great Grandmother. If you would like to know more about these amazing people, open up PAF and call me (208) 404-1660.

(Brother Millet talk on Grace) (Recreation)

2 comments:

Emilee said...

How fun! That is fun to see what they put down as an occupation, it makes it seem more realistic in a sense. I totally thought of 'Hello Dolly' too!

Carilee said...

I LOVE your Socrates quote.

Blog Archive