
I've been struggling lately with the question of what can I do to redeem my dead ancestors in the face of all that has already been done. This morning I found an answer from President Joseph Fielding Smith. He said,
“If you have done the work for all your known dead, and your record cannot be traced but one or two generations, you still have the privilege of assisting your neighbor who lacks sufficient help and therefore cannot do the work for all his dead. Assist him and assist the temples with your financial as well as your moral support, and the way may be opened before you that you can obtain more knowledge of your own dead.” (Doctrines of Salvation, vol. II by Joseph Fielding Smith p.152)
How many of us know the name of one of our ancestors whose work hasn’t been done for the lack of enough information to do it? What is “enough information”? How is this information found? These questions are a good starting point. (I know some of the answers. Call me: 404-1660.)
Keep in mind that “The Lord expects of us all that we do what we can for ourselves and for our dead. He wants us to make the search for our ancestry because he does not do for us what we can do for ourselves. And after we have done all we can, then means will be furnished, or the way will be opened for the furnishing of the information which we are unable to discover.” (ibid. p.149)
“All we can do” might include learning some Danish. These lines seem to fizzle the fastest.” (I know where there is a list of Danish Family History terms. Call me: 404-1660.)
When you have looked for information but can’t find anything, perhaps the next step is to help our neighbors. Who is our neighbor? Christ answered that in the parable of the man who fell among thieves on the road to Jericho. (Luke 10:29-37) The children of the people on our collateral lines might be considered our neighbors. Perhaps learning how to find and read census records then doing a descendancy search would be a neighborly place to start. (If you don’t know how to…call me: 404-1660.) (see also Indexing)
A final note of encouragement: “The responsibility rests with equal force on all, according to our individual ability and opportunities.” (ibid. p.148) Only you know what your abilities are and what time you have to develop them. You have read here of a few more opportunities but there a so many more. (If you are looking for projects that can be done in short chunks of time... call me: 404-1660.)
“It is a work that enlarges the soul of man, broadens his views regarding the welfare of his fellow man and plants in his heart a love for all the children of our Heavenly Father.” (ibid. p.144)
1 comment:
As you know, I have a strong testimony and love for the work of family history. I appreciated your recent e-mail inviting all to a reunion next summer, and with a challenge to bring a project to share. I am always engaged in some kind of FH project, though not always one that is on our shared lines. I let the Family History Muse inspire me at random. :-) This method of choosing projects has kept me joyously and anxiously engaged for many years. I will print your invitation e-mail and keep it visible throughout the coming year in case my journey leads me that direction. With love from your cousin, Carilee.
Post a Comment