Sunday, March 13, 2011

America by Heart

Adj. 1. tight-knit - closely and firmly integrated; "a tight-knit organization"

"I was blessed to grow up in a family that was and is a tight-knit group.  I've always known they have my back.  That if I tried and failed, they'd be threre to pick me up.  And if I tried and succeeded, they'd be there to keep me down to earth....I learned about the unique mixture of sacrifice and reward that is family...my family is my main motivation.  It is the source of my energy as well as my optimism about America...Having a family gives you a gift that you might not recognize at first...It forces you to recognize something that will take you far in life it you let it.  It's not about you...Everyone has challenges and trials...Not facing our challenges limits us.  There is no inspiration, energy, or ambition to grow when your head is in the sand...We've had our challenges, but we tackle them head on, together, and we end up the stronger for it." 
 
These are a few lines from Sarah Palin's book, America by Heart.  Death and tragedy often blow families apart.  When Dart died, our family came together.  I remember seeing Oscar and Caroline baring their testimonies with tears in their eyes soon afterwards.  Grandma Bybee tried to show me a scripture about the next life that would comfort me and my thoughts went something like, "Of course, everyone knows that."  But everyone doesn't.  And even families that come through one storm don't always make it through the next one.  This life is all about trying to "see afar off" when "seeing through a glass darkly" is the norm. 
 
Here, then, is my challenge.  Even if it is with only one other memeber, let's find ways to tighten the kniting that keeps our family together.  It isn't going to happen over-night.  Start with baby steps.  Accept an invitation that is easier to turn down...or offer one.  Pick someone up that has been knocked down.  Find a way to celebrate the good that is going on.  I see all of these things already happinging, but I can do more.

No comments:

Blog Archive