Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Pike Artifacts: Stirring Up Memories

The way we grew up was not normal for then and is even more extraordinary now.  I'm pretty sure all of us have strong memories of this Stokermatic...and the activities around it.  

What does it make you think of? What about other artifacts? I made a list that might elicit a story. Pick three or more items to reminisce about and add it to this site or send it to my e-mail address. Even better, add a picture or a drawing of the object. Here is the list...


the dishpan, saddles, the corncrib, electric blankets, the sock drawer or dad's socks, the middle sectional, tree houses, hoes, irrigating boots and bee hats, the iron rite and the embroidery box.


You might want to go back to the Aug 16th 2009 post or the replies to the Dec. 24th 2010 post to get your imagination started. 



6 comments:

Leda said...

The Stokermatic is my fav...who would think that all these years later I'd have my own STOKERmatic...and he keeps me so hot! Enough said on that- OH the Pony Boy rides on one of my siblings legs while sitting on top of the Stokermatic. I remember being TERRIFIED of the Iron Rite-with all the horror stories about being sucked into it! It scared me just to go around it...I'm scared of my own iron to this day; well that's what I tell any one who wants me to iron for them! All I know about the treehouse, or any where on the farm for that matter, is that I have pictures of me being asleep up there. One that you didn't mention: Dart's gold chair. I couldn't get to the kitchen without him trying to grab me! I don't remember him much other than that, so I love that memory. While we're sharing memories, I'm adding some Chirstmas time thoughts. Always excited for the big girls to come home: Marianne with her cool gifts of Avon and Fran with her great baking. I'll never, ever forget the doll house Marthel made me out of a powder milk box and ALWAYS giving me gifts to spark my creativity. Of course the best part of any Christmas was the new doll I would get. I can smell the hair now! Thanks Marthel for always having fun things to spark our happy memories1

Carilee said...

Even though I did not grow up in the Pike household, I spent a lot of time there, so have my own memories of some of these items.

We did not use coal in the Draper household, so the sights and smells in the Pike household associated with the Stokermatic were unique. Reminiscing about this conjures memories of the distinct smell of burning coal, and the sight of coal clinkers. I am glad I have these memories as a connection with the past. I value all experiences that help me appreciate the way people lived in the past. It has a powerful grounding effect it in how I cope with the present.

The Ironrite was fascinating to me. Grandma Bybee also used one, and perhaps it was the same one used by Aunt DarThel. I have a very distinct memory of watching Aunt DarThel iron pants. As a teenager, ironing was my responsibility in the Draper household. The generic name for the Ironmatic is "mangle," and that is always the term our family (and Grandma) used when referring to it. I remember thinking while ironing blouses that they would be hard to do on a mangle, though perhaps I would have scorched things less with a mangle! Thank goodness ironing is mostly a chore of the past all the way around.

I remember the corncrib as a fun place to include in plans for a fun play day. Ditto for the "gully."

I believe the embroidery box would be the one maintained by Grandma Nell Pike. Though she wasn't my Grandma, I lovingly referred to her as Grandma Pike. She taught me how to embroider alongside my cousin Marthella, long before anyone called her Marti. To keep the lessons simple, she would teach us how to embroider around the outline of patterns on printed fabric, such as flowers, paisley, etc. She would cut swatches of the fabric just the right size to fit into the embroidery hoop, and we would create awful messes of stitches, choosing colors of floss from the fascinating assortment she had in the box.

Grandma Pike also had a blue glass covered jar full of lemon drops which we called "pills." I can remember the sights and smells of the little trailer home they lived in, and now and then get a hankering for lemon drops, so will buy some and put them in my cookie jar. No one else in my household likes them much, but when I put one in my mouth, the rough texture on the roof of my mouth and the sweet/sour flavor bursting in my mouth reminds me of the good old days.

Love to all--

Carilee Draper Sleight

Marti said...

Thanks for the link!
I remember your pantry with the saltine crackers (my mom didn't buy them).
I remember your sectional couch with the record player in the corner.

Love,
Claudette

Marti said...

Marti Pike to Claudette
show details 2:07 PM (59 minutes ago)

Good idea! That pantry was a wonder. I used to think the shelves were slanted because of kids climbing them so much. When I grew up I found out that dad built them that way so the cans would roll to the front for mom to reach easily. Before the record player, there was the perfect hiding place for all the junk collected from the floor when we had to "clean" the living room. My mother was patient with hooligans.

Marti said...

Thanks Lee. You are Hilarious!!! Scared of your iron;) I actually had Dart's chair on the origional list. It was often a focal point for all of us.

I'm so glad the doll house is one of your fond memories. I loved making it for you.

Mother was a master of the mangle. I think of her work there as an equivalent of The Princess Bride movie's "As you wish." It was one of the many ways she showed her love for us.

If memory serves right, Frankie was the instigator of the out house door going into the tree and the old tire to make tree forts. He was inventive.

Marti said...

Thanks Carilee,

You are very much a part of my memories of these artifacts. It is fun to think of the role they played in our play.

Blog Archive